Saturday, September 12, 2026

Gathering, Separation, and the Beloved

Gathering, Separation, and the Beloved

بِسْمِ اللّٰهِ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ

Bismi llāhi r-raḥmāni r-raḥīm.

In the name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful.

Surah al-Fātiḥah 1:1

Gathering and Separation

This quatrain, transmitted in early Sufi literature, is attributed in some sources to al-Junayd and in others to al-Ḥallāj:

وَتَحَقَّقْتُكَ فِي سِرِّي فَنَاجَاكَ لِسَانِي فَاجْتَمَعْنَا لِمَعَانِي وَافْتَرَقْنَا لِمَعَانِي إِنْ يَكُنْ غَيَّبَكَ التَّعْظِيمُ عَنْ لَحْظِ عِيَانِي فَقَدْ صَيَّرَكَ الْوَجْدُ مِنَ الْأَحْشَاءِ دَانِي

Wa-taḥaqqaqtuka fī sirrī fa-nājāka lisānī. Fa-jtamaʿnā li-maʿānī wa-ftaraqnā li-maʿānī. ʾIn yakun ghayyabaka t-taʿẓīmu ʿan laḥẓi ʿiyānī. Fa-qad ṣayyaraka l-wajdu mina l-aḥshāʾi dānī.

I found your reality in my innermost secret, and my tongue whispered to you in intimate confidence. So we came together for certain meanings, and we separated for certain meanings. If reverence has kept you hidden from the glance of my outward, visible sight, still longing—ecstatic love—has drawn you near from the very depths within me.

Attribution and Transmission

Al-Khaṭīb’s Tārīkh Baghdād records al-Ḥallāj reciting the poem as his own, while al-Qushayrī attributes it to al-Junayd. This difference in attribution remains part of the received tradition.

  1. لِلْجُنَيْدِ رَحِمَهُ اللّٰهُ

    Li-l-Junaydi, raḥimahu llāh.

    Al-Qushayrī’s al-Risāla al-Qushayriyya introduces the poem explicitly as “recited for al-Junayd” in its discussion of al-jamʿ wa-l-farq, or “gathering and separation.”

  2. وَلَهُ أَيْضًا …

    Wa-lahu ʾayḍan …

    Ibn Kathīr’s al-Bidāya wa-l-Nihāya includes these lines among al-Ḥallāj’s poetry in his biography under the year 309 AH.

  3. أَنْشَدَنِي … لِنَفْسِهِ بِالْبَصْرَةِ

    ʾAnshadanī … li-nafsihi bi-l-Baṣrah.

    Al-Khaṭīb al-Baghdādī’s Tārīkh Baghdād transmits an explicit report that al-Ḥusayn b. Manṣūr al-Ḥallāj recited the poem “for himself” in Basra: a direct attribution within a biographical isnād.

  4. كَمَا قَالَ بَعْضُهُمْ

    Kamā qāla baʿḍuhum.

    Al-Sulamī’s Ḥaqāʾiq al-Tafsīr quotes the verses anonymously under Qur’an 56:85, without naming an author.

I Do Not Know Where I Have Gone

In the words of Bū ʿAlī Shāh Qalandar Pānīpatī (R.A.):

منم محوِ خیالِ او نمی‌دانم کجا رفتم شدم غرقِ وصالِ او نمی‌دانم کجا رفتم

Manam mahv-e khayāl-e ū, nemī-dānam kojā raftam. Shodam gharq-e vesāl-e ū, nemī-dānam kojā raftam.

I am lost in my beloved’s thought—I do not know where I have gone. I am drowned in the ecstasy of union—I do not know where I have gone.

غلامِ رویِ او بودم اسیرِ مویِ او بودم غبارِ کویِ او بودم نمی‌دانم کجا رفتم

Gholām-e rū-ye ū būdam, asīr-e mū-ye ū būdam. Ghobār-e kū-ye ū būdam, nemī-dānam kojā raftam.

I was the servant of that radiant face, the captive of those tresses; I was the dust of that lane—I do not know where I have gone.

به عام آشنا گشتم زِ جان و دل فدا گشتم فنا گشتم فنا گشتم نمی‌دانم کجا رفتم

Be ʿām āshnā gashtam, ze jān o del fedā gashtam. Fanā gashtam, fanā gashtam, nemī-dānam kojā raftam.

Known everywhere among people, I offered up my heart and soul; I became annihilated—annihilated—I do not know where I have gone.

قلندر بو علی هستم به نامِ دوست سرمستم دل اندر عشقِ او بستم نمی‌دانم کجا رفتم

Qalandar Bū ʿAlī hastam, be nām-e dūst sarmastam. Del andar ʿeshq-e ū bastam, nemī-dānam kojā raftam.

I am Bu ʿAlī the qalandar; by the Friend’s name I am intoxicated; My heart is bound in His love—I do not know where I have gone.

Shaykh Sharaf al-Dīn Bū ʿAlī Shāh Qalandar Pānīpatī

شیخ شرفُ الدّین بو علی شاہ قلندر پانی پتی

Shaikh Sharaf ud-Dīn Bū ʿAlī Shāh Qalandar Pānīpatī.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment.

Love and Devotion

Love and Devotion بِسْمِ ٱللَّهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ Bismi llāhi r-raḥmāni r-raḥīm Surah a...